Wednesday, April 13, 2011

wednesday!

Hey! I finished Good Omens yesterday and it was *really* good. It's been forever since I read some fun, engaging fiction. Then I knocked out The Body Artist by Don Delillo after dinner and I'm not sure I totally understood it but it was fine enough.

***

"A senior United Nations representative on torture, Juan Mendez, issued a rare reprimand to the US government on Monday for failing to allow him to meet in private Bradley Manning, the American soldier accused of being the WikiLeaks source and held in a military prison. It is the kind of censure the UN normally reserves for authoritarian regimes around the world."

Wisconsin: one, two, three

Oh goody.

This is awesome. One answer to his question re: why kids' books don't do the same thing anymore--because we've given up on class mobility and the idea that kids can grow up to be a doctor or whatever instead of praying for a cashier's job at Walmart.

Corollary to the above: no one ever says they want to be a junkie who gets beat up in fetish videos when they grow up.

There's a tremendous difference between taxing the things that make people fat and taxing people for being fat. Guess which option is stupid and hateful?

Surreal. I don't even know what to say anymore.

Fzck this guy.

***

Hmph. First of all, I am reminded of the David Cross quote about how you can't live in artistic integrity. Also, way to marginalize and dismiss all the non-Westernized artists who are producing in absence of marketing departments, and sometimes indoor plumbing. I find Banksy whimsical and all, but are we about done with all this now? ALSO: to sh1t on Marketing/PR folks, when like 90% of the appeal of Banksy's art is the stuntlike anonymity....you may need your hipster ironymeter recalibrated, is all I'm saying.

Bonus: subversive literature

Approve or Disapprove? I have never had strong opinions on the Crow.

Genius.

This is how little girls join the Dark Side. I'm sure this sort of thing helps.

This is gonna be in my head all day.

WHAT. The 70s were so weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment