Thursday, January 6, 2011

thursday!

Pretty divided about this. On one hand there's artistic purity, integrity, and historical context to consider, and I find myself more in this camp (and this one; fzck yeah Ishmael Reed) that asks that Americans engage with, rather than ignore (or celebrate), our frequently ugly history. But on the other hand, I'm not a teacher and I'll never have to have an extensive conservation with a group of kids about the text (John, this is where you can earn some sorely needed participation points). I'm curious if there's any sort of precedent or other comparable case for this sort of major revisionism (other than the Bible, lol) and what the response was. Tangent--I asked Tom if he thought, given the growing dominance of the Kindle and other e-book readers, and how they can be effed with remotely, if we should keep ALL my dad's history books irrespective of our personal interest so our kids can read "real" history once Texas has completely decimated the textbook industry. I'm pretty sure he declared me "delightfully paranoid."

***

OKAY SERIOUSLY WHAT THE HELL

She's a ringer, right? She's gotta be.

HURK

This is extremely disappointing. End of life planning is really important if you want to spare your family a lot of pain.

Emphasis on the wankery.

Fresh Air! Thanks, Jamie!

Further thoughts on Scalia.

CRAP

Srsly: CRAP

Literacy: one, two

Worst Meme Ever, really (or at least top 10).

***

If you missed it yesterday: what the hell is going on inside my walls?

I wish I lived there too, man.

Going to this. Anyone want to make it a field trip?

Dude!

Effin' puppies!

Catzoars: one, two, three

No comments:

Post a Comment