Sunday, June 6, 2010

V is for Victory

The 2010 Victory Garden is poking along. Starting tomatoes and peppers from seed was pretty discouraging overall--most of my peppers survived the transplant and are now rocking out in their permanent locations, but all but three of my tomato plants bit the dust either on day one of hardening (scorched and wilted from sun overexposure), or the last night I left them outside, with the intention of planting them the following morning. A whole tray was flipped in the middle of the night by fuzzy vandals and all my heirloom purples were crushed.

So I've bought replacements from a couple of local gardening centers and gotten everything in the ground I intend to grow for this year. The line up:

Peppers:

3 Sweet Red Planet Peppers (started from seed)
2 Mariachi Hot Peppers (started from seed)

Tomatoes:

1 Opalka Tomato (started from seed and scrawny as hell right now)
1 Yellow Pear Tomato
1 Green Zebra Tomato
2 Cherry Tomato
2 Additional Roma-style Tomato (I'm canning or freezing this year, I swear)

Tomatillos:

3 Purple Tomatillo Plants

Wild Raspberries: Found 'em growing amongst the clump of peonies at the back corner of the yard and transplanted to a pot until I figure out where I want them to live permanently.

HERBS:

Rosemary
Thyme
Cilantro Delfino
Flat Leaf Parsley
Sweet Basil
Lemon Balm
Catnip
Chives
Oregano
Stevia
Mint

It's a pretty good start, I think, and mostly easy plants to deal with, considering this is our first year really giving this whole thing a go. I've got all kinds of ideas for next year--melons, squash and eggplant, along with a perennial bed of rhubarb, asparagus and Jerusalem Artichoke, assuming we figure out how to control the established weed systems--I'm contending with oriental poppies, milkweed, and morning glory infestations among the usual dandelions and such.

No comments:

Post a Comment