Saturday, June 12, 2010

And I Haven't Shaved My Legs in a Week Either

Making this brown rice and mushroom loaf for the third time and pretty jazzed about it. My mom's ol' hippie heart is smiling right now and she has no idea why.

We hit the farmers' market like poets on payday this morning and came away with some excellent strawberries and rhubarb, potatoes and beets, as well as our favorite farmers' market item: fresh baby peas. I bought two pints and I'm actually giddy to play with them. I've got three recipes pegged and hopefully I have enough to rock all of them--Asparagus in Black Sesame Paste (no peas called for in the recipe, but I don't see how adding them could go wrong), Scaffata (with edamame subbed for the labor-intensive favas), and this Cauliflower Curry. If I get really lucky and I still have leftovers after those dishes, I'm going to try this Bittman pasta recipe.

Also new this week: okra! I've never had it and Tom's only had an okra dish his mom used to make that he did not recall fondly. I think this will go over slightly better.

Garden Report: one of my three tomatillos died for no apparent reason. It just shriveled and turned yellow and flopped over. But the other two are growing like gangbusters so I'm not really complaining. The peppers and tomatoes and herbs are all enjoying the rain as we speak, and we're apparently going to have a few raspberries this year too.

The cats also got to sample some of the fresh catnip for the first time this morning and it was SO GOOD one of them was excited unto puking. In other words, another typical and perfectly lovely day.

No comments:

Post a Comment